McMaster University

McMaster University

Global Health Practice Placement FAQs

Q. What is a Global Health Practice Placement?

Stone tablet with hieroglyphics

There are two categories:

  1. International

    This category is limited to agencies:
    1. Setting outside of Canada and/or
    2. Resource-constrained environment and/or
    3. Where nurses are normally in an expanded or primary care role and/or d) providing care in a cross-cultural context and/or
    4. Have an opportunity to compare and contrast health care systems.
  2. Remote/Outpost

    This category is limited to agencies:
    1. Remote/rural setting in Canada
    2. Where nurses are normally in a prominent or primary care role and/or
    3. Providing care to a largely indigenous/Aboriginal population and/or
    4. Under the auspices or oversight of a First Nations or Inuit administration, Board or Health Authority (e.g. Fort Albany, Kugluktuk, etc.)

Q: What course will I be doing?

A: Students may take N4J07 in a global health setting (N4K10 is not an option). Students going in the fall should consider taking N4P04 (PBL) during the summer term. Course manuals should be carefully read asap in prepreation for any of the above courses.

Q: How long will my placement be?

A: The fourth year clinical course is normally 12-weeks in length (288 hours).

Q: Are there any guidelines that govern my practice while overseas or in an outpost setting?

A: Yes, the College of Nurses of Ontario has suggested principles:

Guidelines for Decision-making. For a very brief summary PDF

Q: What about other forms of liability?

A: There may be risks incurred by the student in undertaking an international or outpost placement therefore, both McMaster University and the host organization will normally request that you sign a waiver before you depart to your destination.

Q: How do I get the necessary immunizations before travelling overseas?

A: This is your own responsibility. For up-to-date information from three reliable sources, view the Information on Immunizations for Student Travelers PDFguide.

Q: What about supplementary health insurance?

A: We recommend that you read this important information about OHIP coverage outside of Ontario.

We strongly recommend supplementary insurance to cover the extraordinary costs of a medevac, drugs or special care while in an underserviced area, we recommend buying private insurance to cover such eventualities.

Q: Do I need to get a VISA for the country to which I am going? How and where do I get one?

A: It depends upon the country to which you are going. You need a visa to enter many foreign countries, even if you are visiting as a tourist or a student for a short period of time. Anyone intending to study in a country usually requires special permission to do so from the authorities of that country. These applications cost money and take time to obtain. For more information, please see Government of Canada's Consular Services.

Copyright © 2011 Michael G. Ladouceur. All rights reserved. Updated: 21 July, 2014 by IM

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0