McMaster University

McMaster University

Letter of Permission (LOP)

If you wish to you take courses at another universityyou must complete the Request forLetter of Permission (LOP) form through Mosaic.

Applying for a Letter of Permission (LOP):

  • Students may request to take a course at another institution for credit towards their McMaster degree by applying through Mosaic, as follows:
    • Mosaic > Student Centre > My Academics > Student LOP App > Apply for Letter of Permission
  • Students can search a list of preapproved equivalent courses here.
  • The status of the LOP application can be monitored in Mosaic, as follows:
    • Mosaic > Student Centre > My Academics > Student LOP App
  • Students are responsible for making a formal application to the institution where they intend to study. Review the other university (host institution) website to ensure the course you wish to take is offered in the appropriate term. Follow the host institution’s application procedures paying close attention to the dates and deadlines.
  • Once the LOP course work has been deemed ‘Approved’, the student MUST print the Letter of Permission, available in the Mosaic Student Centre, and send it to the host university.

Completing a Letter of Permission:

  • Students are responsible for ensuring official transcripts for courses taken at another institution are sent directly from the host institution to:

Academic Studies Office, McMaster University, School of Nursing, 1280 Main St. West, HSC 2J34, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1

  • Students must achieve a minimum grade of C- (60%) for transfer of credit. The transcript designation reads T, indicating Transfer, when a grade of C- or better is attained. These units will count towards your degree and to satisfy requisites, however, will not be calculated in your GPA averages.
  • For courses with grades of less than C- (60%), a grade of NC (no credit) will appear on your McMaster transcript. These units will not count towards your degree or satisfy requisites, nor will they be included in the calculation of your GPA averages.
  • If you complete the Letter of Permission application, but decide not to register in (or complete) the course, you MUST provide proof of this to the Academic Studies Office, School of Nursing; Attention:  Connie Heckbert (see address above). Please request that a transcript or ‘Letter of Non-Enrollment’ be sent from the host institution to our office confirming your registration status (i.e. course dropped/cancelled).
  • For students expecting to graduate at Spring Convocation, transcripts must be received by APRIL 30. For students expecting to graduate at the Fall Convocation, transcripts must be received by SEPTEMBER 30.


For information on a Letter of Permission for the Explore Program, click here: LOP for Explore Program



Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0